The ability to do effective research is necessary in many fields. Successful college students need to be able to write research papers that look at a topic in a careful, analytic way and present the results of that research in a well-written, carefully documented paper. You will find a PowerPoint about the research paper in the Course Documents section.
For this course you will complete a research paper on one of the following topics:
1. Will distance learning change American education?
2. American sports parents: Are they out of control?
3. Do the social media have a role in schools?
4. Will the electric car continue to be a force in America?
5. What will our libraries look like in ten years?
6. How will technology change the health care field?
You are permitted and encouraged to narrow your topic and give it your own focus. At any point, if you are unsure of how to proceed, ask your instructor.
The assignment will be discussed several times in class.
Your paper will be graded according to the following criteria:
* Papers should be 5-8 pages.
* Papers should be edited to perfection.
* You will complete an annotated bibliography
* You must follow the MLA format distributed by the Library.
* You must use 4-8 sources. (You can and should use some more than once.) At least two of the sources must be in the past 18 months.
* The paper must used at least two sources from the New York Times.
* The paper must be turned in on time.
* Successful papers will synthesize the research on the topic and draw a conclusion.