If you're working on your term paper for Professor Hohl's Sociology 101 class, you've come to the right place. This guide will help you with your research and citations.
First, carefully read and reread your assignment from Professor Hohl.
Next, follow the steps in this guide in order to . . .
DIRECTIONS FOR RESEARCH PAPER
1. Select a sociological issue from the topics discussed in class, or from a Sociology in the News article.
2. Find a total of three (3) articles: two articles from The New York Times and one (1) article from a social science journal (i.e. The American Sociological Review, The Journal of Family Issues, etc). These articles cannot be ones that were assigned on the syllabus or Blackboard.
3. Your paper should answer the following questions:
1. What is the general topic that this paper is addressing?
2. What is/are the author(s) hypothesis/hypotheses?
3. What is/are the major conclusions(s) drawn by the author(s)? What do the results mean for the “real world”/ how do they apply to you and me?
4. Relate the two newspaper articles to the article from the social science journal. The newspaper articles can either support the findings in the social science journal, or it can disagree with its findings.
5. You do not need to attach copies of your three articles to your papers. Be certain, however, to provide full citations to them. (ASA citation)
6. Select one of the sociological perspectives: Functionalism, Conflict Theory, and Symbolic Interactionism. Interpret the issue from this perspective. Your interpretation should reflect what you have learned from the readings.
7. The final draft of the paper must be between 3 and 5 pages in length.